With the Decorah and North Winneshiek Schools merger, there are many issues to be resolved, particularly related to the North Winneshiek facilities. Here is some of what we know:
• The North Winneshiek School will not be used as an attendance facility.
• It will be maintained to keep it in useable condition. This includes heating and water monitoring, with a part-time custodial presence.
• A new septic system will be installed to replace the no longer acceptable drainage lagoon.
• A keyless entry system will be installed for improved building security.
• There are ongoing assessments of furniture and equipment use that could benefit the new district.
Discussions will continue regarding the future use, but are somewhat on hold until the transition is complete and students are out of the building. Options remain open, and include: