Organizers are looking for approximately 20 volunteers per day to assist with next week's Air Race Classic at the Decorah Municipal Airport. Volunteers will meet at the airport Fixed Base Operator (FBO) at their designated time slot.
Jenny Myren is the volunteer coordinator and will be at the airport coordinating people and events all 3 days. She will be identifiable by the bright neon yellow Air Race Classic ball cap she will be wearing. If you are interested in volunteering, contact Jenny at 563-650-0342.
Race organizers are asking for at least three hours of commitment, but more would be great!
Tuesday June 20 from 10 am--9pm
Wednesday June 21st 6am--9pm
Thursday June 22nd (contingency if weather holds anyone up) 6am--6pm
There are three areas to volunteer:
Timing (work 3-4 hour shifts):
- Plane spotters
- Listen to radio calls
- Call out time as passes timing line
- Watch how plane passes the timing line (certain altitude and position)
- Ask racers if they will be fueling up
- Marshall planes to fuel
- Marshall planes to parking
- Greet and assist racers from plane to hanger, hand out water, give directions etc.
- Coordinate plane departure times
- Make local treats (pies, pastries, etc.)
- Coordinate food service inside the hanger
- Coordinate racers staying overnight; give out information, get them signed up for transportation to local hotels
- Miscellaneous runners, errands, passing information