Back Print

Ask Mr. Answer Person: "What will happen after the flood damaged homes are demolished?"

Posted: Thu, Apr 13, 2017 9:09 AM
PHOTO: Last August's flooding in Spillville (File photo)

(Ron e-mails this question: "After the flood damaged homes are demolished, who will be responsible for taking care of the property?")

Mr. Answer Person says: "We've told you already that a bid has been accepted for the demolition of six houses in Winneshiek County.  Egeland Construction of Ossian will tear down the houses, which were destroyed in last year's flooding.  As part of the project, the properties then will be filled in and returned to grass.

We haven't mentioned what happens next—and we should have.  Put simply, the properties all remain as green space, with no future construction on them, so they can be used to help flood control.  So Winneshiek County will be responsible for the properties—but because they will revert to their natural conditions, there will be little or no "taking care of" the properties."