Decorah news. First. Fast. Free.
Go Back5

Ask Mr. Answer Person: "How can I get rid of sand in street intersections?"

Posted: Thu, Aug 25, 2011 3:18 PM

John e-mails Mr. Answer Person: "How does one actually get the city street department to clean the sand from intersections and streets.  After two plus years of accumulation and numerous phone calls, I would suggest the city council consider performance rather than longevity, the next time it decides on pay raises for department heads.  As they say....your tax dollars NOT at work."

Mr. Answer Person says: "I'm sorry to hear you haven't been getting results from your phone calls.  I have had better luck with the City of Decorah Street Department--they've been very responsive any time I've called (It probably had something to do with identifying myself as "Mr. Answer Person!")

But I have a different suggestion for you that I think might produce better results.  City council members owe their positions to the voters, so they're usually even more responsive to citizen complaints.  Find out which city council member lives in your district, give them a call, talk very politely and then make follow-up calls--either to thank them when the Street Department resolves your problem, or to let them know the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

There's an art to effective complaining--not only does the complaint have to be made in the right way, but the recipient needs to be chosen with care!  Good luck.

Go Back5
Designed by Iroc Web Design Services.